Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Welcome !


This blog is primarily about interesting problems in math and logic. We will discuss problems that are easy to state, require simple ideas, but are not always easy to solve. I will avoid posting problems that involve calculus or differential equations. Probability might find its way here, but again, only the basics will be needed to think about the problems here. Ocaasionally I might put up questions that involve lateral thinking. If my flights of fancy lead me to do so, I might, at times, post something whimsical :-) Since its hard to draw and put up images here, I will unfortunately have to leave out many interesting problems that involve figures.


After giving it some thought, I have decided I will not post the solutions here. There are two reasons for this- One, it will save me the effort of typing out the solution. Second, and more importantly, others too can participate by putting up their solutions, perhaps in the comments section, or as a separate post if they would like to offer a detailed solution. So kindly post the solutions to the problems if you've solved them. If any question remains unsolved, and someone is really curious about the solution, I will post it. If you would like to contribute to the blog, you are most welcome :-) If you would like to turn into a contributor sometime later, that's fine too! Don't worry about posing problems that you think are too simple. What is simple to some of us may not be as simple to others...


Before I close this post, I would urge you to spare a thought for the ones who have originally posed these problems( I haven't come up with these questions) . It takes skill to solve problems, but I think its takes just as much, if not more ingenuity, to create them! So, with that, let's move ahead and revel in the joy of solving problems !! 

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful humanitarian start to a mathematical blog :) Yes, lets take a moment to appreciate the people who have created these problems... and we'll also take a moment to thank you who is taking the time and effort to publish them .. and thank each other for all the smartness and fun :) Cheers Karthik :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous ,
    Ha ha , Thank you :-) Yes, we will have fun :-) I'm relying on you people to post all the solutions !:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great blog idea Karthik. Thank you. I just read this post. A brilliant introduction to what I know will be a mind bending experience. May this blog live long and yeah kudos to the problem creators (When you can't be part of the solution it is OK to be part of the problem). :) I think I will do some PR for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One way to work around the diagram drawing is to draw it on paper and take a photo of it maybe even on a cell phone's camera and putting it up. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rafiki - Thank you ! If people are keen on participating with their ideas, and solutions, I will keep posting new interesting questions that have appealed to me . Yes, thanks for the suggestion. Occasionally , if something is really interesting, I will write it out by hand and scan it.

    ReplyDelete